Wednesday, February 4, 2009

yea, sewanee's right

Feeling a bit wistful for my days at Sewanee lately.

Found this quote from a religion professor that really sums up the way my time there has shaped me.

"Sewanee is about dreaming. Not ideals and fantasies but about the visions that inspire us, the dreams that lead us, the high idealism that makes us change the world when others quit. We are not satisfied that you might get a very good education here; what is the point of that if you have no wisdom or compassion or generosity or leadership? We do not educate so that you can go away and feel certified and satisfied. We pour ourselves passionately into your dreams because of our dreams: you will become the way we change the world. No less than that. We live in a screwed up world that needs what Sewanee people can offer and we expect you to take up the cause, dream the dream, make us proud, make the needful smile, and make God notice." -Smith

I pray for help in living it.

1 comment:

  1. I was just accepted into the School of Theology yesterday and I'm very excited. I stumbled across your blog while "busy" at work today. During my interview the sentiments expressed by the faculty exactly match your quote. They really do hope that we'll be the way they change the world.

    blessings,

    Jon

    ReplyDelete